Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Iron Knight (Iron Fey #4) by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Release date:  October 25, 2011
Published by:  Harlequin Teen
Received from: Netgalley
Reviewed by:  AmyG (big sis)
Sister's Say:  Icy, Irresistible, Illustrious

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn'darkmyr Tallyn.
I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her.
My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I read this book a couple months back, but I just hadn't been able to write a review of it.  It's sometimes hard to put into words how you feel about the last book of a series that you adore!  I went back earlier this week to look for a good Teaser Tuesday and was blown away again by just looking through this book.  I will say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series!!!  Our love for this series is evident all over this blog, from the Crush Tourney, our background, to our reviews.  And, Julie has done it again with part 4.  Her language is so rich, dark, beautiful, and haunting.  She has a great talent for words that make the novel come to life before your eyes.


The ending of Iron Queen was heart-wrenching, but with The Iron Knight comes new hope. Ash's words at the end of IQ will stick with me forever. They are some of the most beautiful words that I have ever read,
"I will always be your knight, Meghan Chase," he whispered in a strained voice, as if every moment he remained was painful to him. "And I swear, if there is a way for us to be together, I will find it. No matter how long it takes. If I have to chase your soul to the ends of eternity, I won't stop until I find you, I promise." (Iron Queen, 338)
 And here is our hope.  This is what Iron Knight is all about, Ash's quest to find a way to be with Meghan.  Its an amazing feat, tragic, dangerous, and frightening, and if Ash can pull it off, it will be a miracle.  Its truly an epic tale that reminds me a little of Frodo's and his fellowship's quest with the ring.  Along the way to "The End of the World" he faces trials, demons, ghosts, and struggles that I don't think anyone saw coming.  Some of it was very painful and downright tormenting!

As they travel through the Nevernever, trolls, the big bad wolf, ghosts, and pretty much every other fairytale or legend lingering in the corners of your mind will make an appearance.  Some of them I was happy to see, others not so much, and yet one in particular (without getting too spoilery) left me torn and confused.  Once you get to this particular part, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.  Julie took the idea of a love triangle and flipped it in a way that I have yet to see in a book.  I will say that it was brilliant, but not easy to read. (hence the torment mentioned above.)

Even though we think, that the true purpose of this book is to find a way for Ash to be with Meghan without dying from the iron, Julie definitely drops some twists, turns, and huge, gigantic, phenomenal surprises in the mix that will make you and not to mention Ash question if it is all really worth it.  Ash is ultimately left with some harrowing decisions.  More than just his life will be effected by his choices.  Being with Meghan comes at great costs, and I struggled right along with Ash as his options played before him.  Through it all, Ash fans get everything they could ever desire out of this book. Ms. Kagawa flays him open emotionally for all of us to see.  This adventure brings out Ash's hopes, fears, loves, and dreams.  He matures from the beginning of the book until the end, making Ash even a more perfect knight than he was before!  I think this was the actual purpose of this book, not for Ash to find a way to be with Meghan, but for Ash to know beyond a shadow of a doubt, what he truly desires.

When all is said and done, this was an amazing conclusion to an epic love story!  It has it all, love, jealousy, pain, torment, heartache, happiness, and joy!  One of my favorite series of all time!!!