Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: A Little Too Much by Lisa Desrochers






A Little Too Much (A Little Too Far, #2)A Little Too Much (A Little Too Far #2) by Lisa Desrochers
William Morrow
On Sale Now
Reviewed by: AmyG (big sis)
Sister's Say: Another great NA from Lisa Desrochers!

In the follow-up to Lisa Desrochers’ explosive New Adult novel A Little too Far, Alessandro Moretti must face the life he escaped and the girl he loved and left behind.

Twenty-two year old Hilary McIntyre would like nothing more than to forget her past. As a teenager abandoned to the system, she faced some pretty dark times. But now that’s all behind her. Hilary has her life on track, and there’s no way she’ll head back down that road again.

Until Alessandro Moretti—the one person who can make her remember—shows up on her doorstep. He’s even more devastatingly gorgeous than before, and he’s much too close for comfort. Worse, he sees right through the walls she’s built over these last eight years, right into her heart and the secrets she’s guarding.

As Hilary finds herself falling back into love with the man who, as a boy both saved and destroyed her, she must decide. Past or future? Truth or lies?




I fell head over heels in love with Alesandro in A LITTLE TOO FAR.  He was such a complex character that I couldn't help but be drawn to him.  I agonized for days after finishing book 1, wondering what would have forced Alesandro to become a priest?  What drives someone to make that kind of life altering decision?  I couldn't wait to get into his mind and figure out what was driving him.  After finishing A LITTLE TOO MUCH, I felt like I had those answers, but not quite in the way I was expecting.  A Little Too Much is actually not from Alesandro's POV which was a bummer.  I was going into the book expecting it at least to be a split narrative.  Sadly though, it was not.  The novel was actually from the POV of Hilary, Alesandro's love interest.  I really liked Hilary, but I was really hoping the novel would have had a least some of Alesandro's POV.  I missed him.  Do I think that the novel was not good because of this, absolutely not.  It is still a fantastic book, and I still got my answers about Alesandro.  But that is a warning to readers that they know beforehand that this is still more Hilary's story than Alesandro's.

Hilary and Alesandro have a past.  A past that is dark, lonely and full of tragedy.  They met when they were teenagers in a group, foster home.  Hilary is the reason Alesandro comes back to the states.  Alesandro needs atonement.  He feels deeply and labors under the guilt of his past, and Hilary is a part of that past.  He is on a mission to right his wrongs, and the only way he can do that is by trying to fix those he feels like he injured.  However, when he finds Hilary, sparks start to fly, and it is very apparent the chemistry between them is still explosive.  However, they both have skeletons in the closets that might just rip them apart.

A Little Too Much is on the darker side of NA.  It's real life and it's gritty and dirty.  Hilary and Alesandro both have to claw their way out of their own darknesses.  If they can find their way out, then happiness is there waiting.  It's a moving novel that left me on the verge of tears several times.  I hurt and suffered right along with Hilary and Alesandro and was rooting for them to find their happily ever after.  Lisa Desrochers is wonderful author.  She has a beautiful way with words that brought Alesandro and Hilary to life right before my eyes.

 I have a hard time with the darker, depressing side of NA, but I still loved this book.  For those who are fans of that kind of NA then this one will blow you out of the water.  For those who prefer the lighter side, then I still say give this a go.  Alesandro is very much worth it!