Friday, January 3, 2014

Review: A Little Too Far by Lisa Desroches






A Little Too Far (A Little Too Far, #1)
Have you ever gone just a little too far?

Lexie Banks has.

Yep. She just had mind-blowing sex with her stepbrother. In her defense, she was on the rebound, and it’s more of a my-dad-happened-to-marry-a-woman-with-a-super-hot-son situation. But still, he’s been her best friend and confidant for the better part of the last few years … and is so off limits. It’s a good thing she’s leaving in two days for a year abroad in Rome.

But even thousands of miles away, Lexie can’t seem to escape trouble. Raised Catholic, she goes to confession in hopes of alleviating some of her guilt … and maybe not burning in hell. Instead, she stumbles out of the confessional and right into Alessandro Moretti, a young and very easy-on-the-eyes deacon … only eight months away from becoming a priest. Lexie and Alessandro grow closer, and when Alessandro’s signals start changing despite his vow of celibacy, she doesn’t know what to think. She’s torn between falling in love with the man she shouldn’t want and the man she can’t have. And she isn’t sure how she can live with herself either way.



This is definitely one of the best if not the best New Adult book I've read all year! A Little Too Far is like no book I've ever read before.  I've always been drawn to books with the forbidden love storyline.  Place a book in any time period for me and throw together 2 people that should not be together, and hook, line and sinker... I am caught!  Lisa takes this idea and basically flips it over, turns it inside out and changes its color!  She takes not 1, but 2 of the most forbidden relationships and shoves them together in this wonderful gift of a book!

Those relationships basically include step-siblings and when that goes awry in walks a Catholic priest in training.  For those of you who find this off putting or uncomfortable, you'll just have to take my word for it when I tell you it is not!  Lisa handles it in a way that will have you routing for the step-brother at one moment then the priest the next.  A Little Too Far is the perfect title to this book.  Lisa stretches what you think is wrong, right, moral, and just plain uncomfortable just a little too far, and it works out fantastically.  Get ready to feel all the feels!

The priest, Alesandro, is actually one of my favorite characters to date.  He's deep, caring, mysterious and multidimensional.  He has a deeply troubled past and somehow along the way decides to become a priest.  That is so interesting to me.  I just wonder what leads a person to do that, especially one that was not brought up in the Catholic church.  I found myself thinking about his character often, trying to understand him.  Then, I had to keep reminding myself that he is not real.  Everyone that I know that has read this book has fallen hard for Alesandro, so be prepared!

Even though I love Alesandro, Trent is pretty great too, so definitely don't count him out!  This book was just so interesting all around.  Lisa drew me in and didn't allow me to let go until the very end.  I loved so much about it.  I loved Lexie's snarky attitude and how she brought out the best in both guys.  I also would be remiss if I didn't mention that all of this takes place with Italy as its backdrop.  Beautiful art, beautiful boys and a beautiful story all together to create an impossible book to put down.  I don't want to giveaway too much of the story, so I'll just say that you need to read it!