Friday, December 13, 2013

Nine Best YA Contemporary Romances I Read in 2013

I was on quite the romance bender this year, and some of my favorites were YA. A couple of these books were published before 2013, but deserve mention based on obscurity! These are the books I most admired this year.

By Honorary Sis Sarah P.


Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley is an Australian import with something for everyone. A romance. A case of mistaken identity. Poetry and literary awesomeness.

The best romances have much more going on than just the love story, and My Life Next Door is no exception. I loved the whole package--the mouthy four year old, the political poser, the grumpy mom. Can't wait for her 2014 follow up.

All the Truth That's In Me would appear on just about any "best of" list I made this year. What a powerful, haunting read. And how amazing that Ms. Berry sustains such a heartbreaking romance through a plot line full of scary, unromantic stuff. Wow!

What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton follows a theme which received lots of airplay recently--her main character is trying to overcome a sexual assault, and a very patient boy helps her do that. This book absolutely rocks that plot line.


Somehow Rainbow Rowell published two bestselling, super romances in 2013. Just... wow. I'm sure these two books are turning up on lists everywhere. But that is as it should be.

Is Every Day a true romance? I believe it is. And with one of the most unique romance plots ever imagined.
Lauren Myracle's latest was a quieter, prettier book than she usually writes. And definitely romantic!

Hilary Smith's swashbuckling tale proves that romance can find you in the places (and during the moments) you're least expecting it.