Friday, March 22, 2013

Not So YA Friday: Unbroken by Melody Grace

 
The following review is recommended for Ages 18 and older!  This book contains explicit content not suitable for young audiences.

Unbroken by Melody Grace
NA Indie
Available Now
Reviewed by :  Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say:  Dramatic, Scintillating, and Swoon-worthy
Mom always told me there are two kinds of love in this world: the steady breeze, and the hurricane. Emerson Ray was my hurricane...."
Juliet McKenzie was an innocent eighteen-year old when she spent the summer in Cedar Cove—and fell head over heels in love with Emerson. Complicated, intense Emerson, the local bad boy. His blue eyes hid dark secrets, and just one touch could set Juliet ablaze. Their love was demanding and all-consuming, but when summer ended, tragedy tore them apart. Juliet swore she’d never go back, and she’s kept that promise… Until now.

Four years later, Juliet’s done her best to rebuild the wreckage of her shattered life. She’s got a great boyfriend, and a steady job planned after she graduates. Returning to Cedar Cove to pack up her family’s beach house to prepare it for sale, Juliet is determined that nothing will stand in the way of her future. But one look from Emerson, and all her old desire comes flooding back. He let her go once, but this time, he’s not giving up without a fight. And Emerson fights dirty.

A heartbreaking history. An unstoppable passion. Torn between her past and future, Juliet struggles to separate love from desire. But will they find a way to overcome their tragic secrets—together? And after so much damage has been done, can a love remain unbroken?

*This book contains adult situations and explicit content.*

It’s not hard for me to finish a book in a day or two, but when I find a book that really hooks me, I sneak every moment I can to keep reading.  Unbroken was one of those books.  Even if it was only a few minutes, I took every chance I could to dive right back into Juliet and Emerson’s story.  Their story was beyond sizzling, but underneath the crazy sexual tension, were two people both trying to save each other.

This NA story is based on a regularly used cliché—the broken girl/guy who needs to be fixed.  However, they are clichés for a reason—because they work!  I don’t care how many times I’ve read the old reinvented, I still fall for it every time because it’s so overwhelmingly emotional.  While many will argue that it is too emotional, bordering on the melodramatic, I think it’s just the right amount of passion.  So, if you’re one of those people that shudders at clichéd stories, then you might want to skip it; but, if you’re a sucker for a great romance, no matter the originality, then this is a great book for you.

I just loved Emerson in this one.  He really got some extreme reactions from me.  At times, I was completely and hopelessly swooning over him, other times I wanted Juliet to kick him in the groin and then pull his hair.  He was hot and cold, which at times, bothered me, but that’s what creates his character.  He is definitely an alpha male (which I love), and his overly-confident attitude just swept me away.  I love extreme confidence in a guy.  While it may be annoying in real life, it makes for a kick-ass bad boy.  So, ladies, watch out because Emerson will make you love to hate him.

Juliet was your typical broken girl, but she wasn’t overly whiney about it.  I hate girls that cry and cry to their best friend instead of standing up and doing something about it.  Now, Juliet does have her cry-fests near the end of the novel, but the rest of the book, she tries to be strong and confident in the face of the man who stole her heart.  She has a hard go of it, especially since the slightest touch from Emerson can send her head and heart spinning.  But this roller coaster of emotions was enjoyable for me to read about, even though I do wish she would have taken at least one good swing at him when he was playing Captain Jerkface.

Warning:  The sex in this one is a little more explicit than I am used to reading in NA, but that might be because I haven’t read many in this genre, yet.  Most of the ones I’ve read have been mostly tame, but this one, I would rate up there with the adult romances.  So, if you’re not a fan of that, then you’ve been warned.  If you are, then more power to you!

Overall, I really enjoyed this story, and I am really looking forward to what Melody is planning next.  I am really hoping for a companion novel for Juliet’s best friend (her name escapes me right now,  but she was super cool) and Emerson’s friend, Garrett.  Here’s to hoping she writes quickly!