Friday, January 11, 2013

Not So YA Friday: The Prince's Gamble by Caridad Pineiro


Today is Not So YA Friday, where we review either an Adult or New Adult title.  Please keep in mind that these books are for 18 YEARS OR OLDER!  They are not recommended for teenagers due to sexual content.




The Prince’s Gamble by Caridad Pineiro
eARC received from Entangled Publishing via Netgalley
Release Date:  2-12-2013
Reviewed by:  Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say:  Provacative and Steamy, but lacking memorability

I am a huge fan of romantic suspense novels, so I was looking forward to reading Caridad’s new book.  This is the first book I have read by her, and although it kept my attention and entertained me, it mostly just fell flat. 

I wanted romance that just blew me away, and while the steamy scenes were…well, steamy; the actual romance didn’t sell.  I didn’t believe the attraction between Alexander and Kathleen.  They met each other while Kathleen (FBI agent) was conducting an investigation, and supposedly, the attraction was immediate.  However, it didn’t read truthful.  I wanted to see them pine for each other, or atleast see them in situations where passion took over and they couldn’t control themselves.  But all I got were bland statements like they “wanted” each other or the like.  So, the attraction for me, was all speak and no show.

The action part of the story was well written.  It kept my attention, and although predictable, it was still fast paced enough to be enjoyable.  It was nowhere near on the level of the other romantic suspense books I have read, though.  There was nothing that surprised me or kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering and waiting. 

The most interesting character in the story was the Prince’s sister, Tatiana.  She was just a minor character, but Caridad has set it up for her to have her own companion novel in the future.  She was all attitude and spice, and I think I will enjoy reading more of her, and her love interest, Agent Roman.  Agent Roman also captivated me.  There was something secretive about him, and you know I like the secrets!  I just wish I had felt this way about the main characters in this one.  It’s just sad that I liked the minor characters more, especially when they had little to nothing to do with the main plot.

Overall, I was disappointed in this romance.  It wasn’t that it was bad, in fact, there were many enjoyable parts, but it just wasn’t memorable.  It’s not one that I will call my mom and sisters and tell them to read.  If you like the slower romantic suspense, the ones with less guns and more talk, then you will probably enjoy this one.  But, if you are like me, and are an action junkie, I would move on to the next one.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like one I'll one to skip on too. I like my romance books to be strong in the romance department. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bummer. I was just thinking about requesting this one too. Oh well. Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete