Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Published by: HarperTeen
Reviewed by: Honorary Sis Beth
Sister Says: Saucy, Sassy, and Sinister
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart. (summary from goodreads.com)
Top Five Things I Loved About Starcrossed
1. The Setting: Beautiful Nantucket Island. Ms. Angelini does an amazing job articulating the breath-taking scene for this novel. This book has filled my dreams with lighthouses, the homes, the ocean, and the beach of the beautiful northeast ever since I read it.
2. The boys: Let me just say that Lucas is HOT HOT HOT!!!! He is romantic and gentle, but also rough and tortured. Oh, and he's part Greek god!!! Hello! Sign me up, please!!!!
3. Greek mythology: It is such a refreshing change to read a book with a completely different "world". The idea of the families being descendants of Greek gods was fun and refreshing. I love Greek mythology and enjoyed the intermingling of the old with the new. I can't wait to see what's next and what mythological character we meet next.
4. The Girls: I enjoyed Helen's character a lot. She is well-developed and interesting. Her relationship with her friend Claire is sweet and sister-like. They were snarky, sassy, and just people I would totally want to be friends with in real life.
5. The Twists: Obviously, I can't say much about this without giving anything away. But, me just say that I ended up staying up all night finishing the book because I could not believe what had happened. There are many things that I just did not see coming and I love a book that keeps me guessing all the way to the end.
All in all, in you like a tortured teen romance mixed with Greek mythology that adds beautiful Nantucket....you'll love this book!!! I can't wait until Dreamless comes out!!!!!