Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen





The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax by Trinity Faegen

Published by: Egmont USA

Received from: Netgalley

Release date: September 27, 2011

For more info: http://www.trinityfaegen.com/

Reviewed by: Sis-in-law Sarah

(Summary from goodreads.com)
Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat. 

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha. 

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?

There were so many things I loved about this book. Faegen is a terrific writer who knows how to draw you in right from the start. I'm talking super duper action from the very first chapter. It doesn't take long at all to be drawn into this story! She creates an intricate world based on Milton's Paradise Lost. The battle between God and Lucifer is a little altered and you find yourself actually on Lucifer's side fighting against a fictional character more evil than the devil. This was my favorite part of the book…I love stories that are based on legends or other stories with which I'm familiar. There is a perfect balance of tons of action and a steamy love story….this book definitely has something in it for everyone. And also, may I mention the dark, daring, angsty, and hell-bound boy that can't stay away from you? That's a definite plus…you know, if you're into that kind of thing. I found myself addicted to Jax…seriously could not get enough of that boy.

However, I did have a few qualms about this book. One, it was seriously a lot of information to take in in such a short time! I felt like she threw this whole new world at me way to fast for my brain to keep up. I'm a detailed reader…I like to read every word, so, if you're a speed reader, you might really have a hard time grasping the world she creates. Also, if you're a Christian, you might have a hard time with the total concept of this book. It could be considered quite offensive if you have strong beliefs about God. And lastly, ummmmm…yeah, I really felt like the content of this book was a little more adult level than young adult level. I don't really consider myself to be a prude, but I found myself offended more than once. So, if you read this book, or you're a parent monitoring your teen's reading list, just a forewarning that this book contains a lot of language and sexual content.



I have to say though, the ending redeemed the things I didn't like about this book. It had me jumping off my couch, yelling at my husband, "That was a GREAT ending!" And I'm of the belief that great endings make great books.